Chemo Therapy

This is my story...
I had it in my head I was going to receive a simple IV through the arm. I've done that before, no problem. Big surprise - I had to go to the hospital as an outpatient and have this Power Port thing installed just below the collarbone on the other side. Great - another scar! About a month afterward, when the incision was pretty much healed I went in for my 1st chemo. My husband and father took me. They stayed once I was hooked up. I had to "drink" 4 IV bags - 3 chemo meds and 1 for nausea, one at a time. So I was there for 5 hours each visit. I brought cards for solitare, books for reading and watched TV.

I hate being hooked up! The needle into the chest was no picnic. One of the nurses was so great - she told me to close my eyes and visualize the ocean with a big wave coming and about to knock me over. Just as the wave was crashing, my brain was distracted with the drama of the story, rather than focusing on the needle. It popped in easily. Whenever I had chemo on a day that this nurse was working I always asked for her to hook me up. Just to let you know - I was the only whimp in our group of about 10 people. Everyone else was fine with getting their needle. I went once every three weeks. Total of 6 treatments.

Please add your own experiences...

2 comments:

ssnuffy said...

jenny was dianosed in 1996 mastectomy, chemo & radiation followed for 3 yrs,,but they got it all, not!!! in 2000 it returned matastisized to the bones. Chemo n radiation followed intil may of 2008. jennys dieing now, Im caregiver, If you want to be cured begin to use the wisdom God has givin you. treatments dont work!!!Begin to work on building your Immune system instead of killing it. Work towards getting healthy Al cancer-isnt-scary.blogspot.com

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.